There were a great many specimens to be photographed and it took all morning. One beautiful flower had a terrible smell, so I finished that one first.
There was plenty of water in the tanks and I developed two rolls. Anne took considerable interest in the operation and wanted to be called every time I changed the solution. Between her and the many natives who came aboard it was hard to do the job properly and I decided to wait for better conditions before doing any more. The films were in good condition and the pictures good which reassured me on the 40 rolls which remain.
The natives brought a large lizard on board, very wild looking, and everyone was afraid of getting bitten. Fenton wanted to kill the lizard and skin him and he appealed to me for advice and assistance. I recommended ether on cotton in a bag over the lizards head. This was not enough to kill the lizard which was still active with a small white bag over his head soaked in ether. We finally had to put him in a large jar filled with alcohol and formaldehyde. Fenton then wanted to skin him and I got the operation well started. Fenton was up ’till 10 finishing it, doing a very good job.